Sofia, Kieran, Alasdair and Joe have been auditing a number of things in school to do with being active. They pupil voice group works in collaboration with Nicole from Active Schools. They presented their findings to her yesterday.
They asked pupils which sports they took part in outwith school. The results were amazing, a huge number of children in school are involved in swimming, gymnastics and football from P1-7. As children progress up through school other great things appear like netball, hockey, martial arts, running etc.
They also asked the pupils about which clubs or sports they did as part of after school clubs related to Mile End. The numbers for this were also fantastic. This will feed into what we can offer the children next session.
As part of the questionnaire they asked classes what they liked doing in PE lessons and what they would like to see included in PE and astro sessions during the school week.
Linked to this the staff were also asked about their approach to the 2 hours of PE which must be taught each week. Staff were able to say what they used, how they planned and what support they would like to make their job easier and improve their skills for teaching PE.
Next Steps from Audit
- Inclusion in Sport training for staff.
- More taster sessions offered for pupils where possible from outside agencies
- CPD opportunities for staff from Active Schools
- Regular information for all pupils of after school and lunchtime clubs
- Playground Leaders training
- Bikeability training for upper primaries
- Active Schools will look for further diversity in their clubs
Well done Sports Ambassadors for such a fab job!