Social studies supports pupils to:
- develop understanding of the history, heritage and culture of Scotland, and an appreciation of my local and national heritage within the world
- broaden understanding of the world by learning about human activities and achievements in the past and present
- develop understanding of their own values, beliefs and cultures and those of others
- develop understanding of the principles of democracy and citizenship through experience of critical and independent thinking
- explore and evaluate different types of sources and evidence
- learn how to locate, explore and link periods, people and events in time and place
- learn how to locate, explore and link features and places locally and further afield
- engage in activities which encourage enterprising attitudes
- develop an understanding of concepts that stimulate enterprise and influence business
- establish firm foundations for lifelong learning and for further specialised study and careers.
Social Studies can be taught either discreetly ( only looking at the Experiences and Outcomes within Social Studies) or in an interdisciplinary way.